Ocean, New Jersey Ant Control
It can be hard to avoid ants in New Jersey. They are some of the most widespread pests in the world, a single colony can contain millions of insects alone. Managing their spread can be challenging, but with proper care, an ant swarm can be controlled.
Understanding Ocean County, New Jersey Ants
Ants are everywhere in the world. If you added up all the ants in the world, by weight, there would be far more ants than people! In Ocean County, New Jersey alone there are a dozen varieties of the common insect. Ant colonies set up around easy sources of food and water – and that can include in and around your yard or home!
The key to managing an ant swarm is understanding their behavior, explain the local Ocean County pest control experts at Viking. Worker ants leave their underground colonies to search for food and resources for the Queen at home. Ants eat a lot of varieties of food: including litter and debris lying around your yard or inside your house!
The Common Pest Ants in Ocean County
Of the 12 common ant species in Ocean County, there are a few who tend to cause problems for residents and businesses:
- Carpenter Ants: As their name suggests, carpenter ants like to burrow into wood to build their colonies. This makes them an especially widespread problem for homes and businesses, as these creatures can chew into the wooden structure of a building and find their way inside. Unlike termites, however, they do not tend to cause structural problems – but their tendency to live indoors can certainly become its own problem!
- Pavement Ants: Just like carpenter ants, pavement ants have a very revealing name. You will find these critters burrowed under slabs of paving materials like asphalt or concrete. These pests are skilled scavengers and will eat anything they can find – especially in kitchens.
- Pharaoh Ants: An introduced species, pharaoh ants are originally an African insect that now lives in warm climates worldwide. That means that, when temperatures start to drop, these insects seek the indoors for shelter, making them a huge problem for homes and businesses.
Managing Ant Problems in Ocean County
Ant problems happen for a reason – colonies are always on the lookout for food and shelter for their queen and young. It does not take a pest control expert to keep your kitchen free of spills and garbage that attract ants! But even good hygiene alone might not be enough, here are some other tips recommended by the ant exterminators at Viking Pest:
- Regularly clean out pet food bowls. Leftover kibble can quickly become an ant colony’s favorite treat!
- Check for holes and gaps that might allow ants to enter your home or business
- Maintain trees and shrubs. Ants are great climbers and can use foliage to find hidden pathways inside.
- Throw away garbage every night and purchase a garbage can that can be sealed with a lid.